This is the page for bike rides that don’t fit elsewhere on the site.
Posts on the bike routes I explore round Britain, mostly for Cycling Plus magazine. You can see a complete list (224 of them in all) or browse latest and random ones below.
- Canterbury ales: Kent beer-hopI’m diligently researching a ride for an article that asked me to combine beer and cycling….
- Birds Trail 2: Down to the reservesAnother day researching birdspotting routes, this time on back lanes through woods filled with birdsong, and…
- Birds Trail 1: Hiding in NorfolkIdentifying rare birds while riding is easy, even for beginner-spotters like me, if you know what…
- Swindon 3: Rainy RidgewayDay 3 of cycle route research round Swindon way. I …
- Milton Keynes 1: Concrete cows, delivery robotsTakeaway-delivery robots, concrete cows (replicas), and Stone Age Circles (est. …
- Painters Trail 2: Marginal GainsboroughGainsborough House, Sudbury, is a cracker. The painter’s home, furnished …
- Cam High Road: Roman Road, straight upHere’s a Roman Road with the kind of beeline straightness …
King Alfred Way
In June 2022 I cycled the King Alfred Way, the 350km circular bikepacking route round south-east England.
For a ride report, assessment of the route, and more information, see the King Alfred Way index page.
Camino de Santiago
In April 2011 I cycled the Way of St James across northern Spain, from Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela.
For a ride report, my article on the route for Cycling UK, and a podcast of the trip, see the Camino de Santiago index page.
In autumn 2014 I backpacked round South America, and occasionally hired a bike.
Colombia: Ciclovía, Bogotá
Ecuador: Local life, Otavalo
Ecuador: Village life, Baños
Peru: Abra Málaga
Brazil: Ibirapuera Park, São Paulo
Brazil: Rio de Janeiro
Cycling the streets of the London board (compare with the York version)…
Old Kent Rd – Whitechapel Rd – Kings X – Angel – Euston Rd – Pentonville – Pall Mall – Electric Co – Whitehall – Northumberland Ave – Marylebone – Bow St – Marlborough St – Vine St – Strand – Fleet St – Trafalgar Sq – Fenchurch St – Leicester Sq – Coventry St – Water Works – Piccadilly – Regent St – Oxford St – Bond St – Liverpool St – Park Lane – Mayfair
…and some strange sights best seen by bike
Thinnest House – Trompe l’œuil houses – Giant Plug – Oldest house – Oldest shopfront – Roman Bath – London Stone – ‘St Paul’s’ in Vauxhall – London Bridge (rems) – Floating towpath – Flying canal – ‘Lombard St’ for bikes – Crossing the meridian – Ride a free ferry – Cycle inside a canal – Camberwell Submarine – Old Kent Road tank – DIY Skyride – Follow a ley line – The centre is a horse’s bum – A bit of Cambridgeshire – George Inn
In June 2018 I explored the Black Forest on an e-bike and wrote the trip up for Cycling UK in an article for their magazine and website.
In April 2000 I travelled across western Japan with a Brompton. The text of my article on the trip for Cycling UK magazine is online at notanothercyclingforum.net.
I’ve no idea how or why it got there, but it’s fine by me.
All the World’s Baths
From April 1999 to May 2000 I travelled with my partner to all the places in the world called ‘Bath’. See my archive copy of that old trip website in a separate window. Below are a few sample posts, reconstituted for e2e.bike.
Baths 1: Bath, Netherlands
Baths 2: Alkmaar, Netherlands
Baths 3: Braunschweig, Germany
Baths 4: Káposvar, Hungary
Baths 5: Aix-en-Provence, France
Baths 6: Bath, Scotland
London to Athens
From August to December 1996 I cycled my first big trip: with my partner from London to Athens. No blogs, just the old-fashioned handwritten journal and colour prints back from the chemist!